Years ago, as The Plumber’s Wife, I jumped into the family business. I figured that my husband, Hotrod, would turn wrenches, I would answer the phone and pay bills, and we would get rich. Easy peasy, right?
We dug a deep hole of debt and struggled to make payroll. Of course, we didn’t get paid, because, at the end of the month, there wasn’t any money left. It seemed like a lot of money was going through the company. Where did the money go? How would you know?
Here’s the unsexy answer: Accounting.
Ugh. Boy, I never wanted to learn accounting and bookkeeping. I thought I would never have to! But when the pain of our losing business became big enough, I decided to reach out for help. My mentor Frank Blau convinced me that, if I wanted to win at the game of business, I needed to keep score. Financial reports are the scorecards of business.
Boring! At least I thought so. That’s why I fought it. Couldn’t someone else do the bookkeeping? Well, I couldn’t afford a bookkeeper. So I learned it.
And that, my friend, changed everything. From that point on, we started to make money. I slept through the night without worry about unpaid bills. I’m not exaggerating when I say that understanding the money saved my marriage.
That’s why I wrote Where Did the Money Go? – Accounting Basics for the Business Owner Who Wants To Get Profitable. This is the first of my books, and perhaps the one of which I am most proud. I would have given my right arm for this information – and encouragement – when I was figuring out my assets from my elbow.
Let’s make accounting UN-complicated!
For a short time, I’m offering the Where Did the Money Go? e-book for $4.95. This terrific book…
- Explains the Balance Sheet and Profit & Loss…what they are, why you need them and how to use them to make better, faster more profitable decisions.
- Follows along as Bob Bird starts his company, and transactions are demonstrated on the financial reports, one at a time. So good!
- Includes a before and after accounting quiz. Discover your level of understanding and assess your team and future team members as you move through the book.
- Includes bonus articles on simple financial ratios, open book management and lots more.
- Has a neat Glossary of Weird Accounting Terms to help make conversations with your CPA a little less awkward.
Order here! Share this special price offer with a friend. And comment or ask questions below.
Here’s to your prosperity and freedom!